School readiness is a fundamental aspect of our program and underpins the planned, intentional learning experiences we provide here at preschool. Our highly qualified educators provide many varied learning experiences and opportunities throughout the day including small group-times, one-to one interactions, open-ended exploration, semi-structured activities, and spontaneous events.
Through these interactions the children are given the opportunity to develop core skills that will support them when starting school and provide positive long-term impact on their learning and development.
The core skills targeted in our learning program include;
- Developing sound social skills - Encouraging adult/child interactions that encourages co-constructing ideas and fosters early relationships.
- Group participation - Learning to work with and alongside others.
- Problem solving - Identifying problems and working out solutions and strategies to fix them and using high order thinking skills.
- Language development - Listening and speaking. Communicating with peers and educators, asking and responding to questions and following directions.
- Early literacy skills - Developing phonological awareness, concepts of print, beginning to write and draw to communicate ideas.
- Early numeracy skills - Developing numbers sense, identifying numerals, counting, sorting and patterns.
- Singing familiar songs and nursery rhymes.
- Reading - Enjoying reading with peers and educators and recalling events in the story and comprehending key ideas.
- Developing self-help skills - Taking increasing responsibility for their own belongings, physical needs and safety.
- Fostering enjoyment of learning and discovery!